Oh my gosh, that time of year has rolled around again. ‘Tis the time to renew your membership in the Southern California Writers Association (SCWA).
Dues are $30 per year, payable by Jan 1. The annual membership period is January 1 through December 31.
Benefits of membership
- Tap into the collective wisdom of our writing community
- on how to develop your writing skills.
- Find solutions to writing problems.
- We had a wide variety of backgrounds of careers that you can tap into.
- Learn from a wide variety of speakers at our meetings.
- How to publish your book.
- How they are writing their books.
- How to hone your writing skills, whether you write fiction or non-fiction. We have it all in SCWA. You can learn a lot from our very experienced speakers.
- Past speakers have included: Ray Bradbury,
- Enjoy a good meal while you network with speakers and members.We meet in a Claim Jumper restaurant so you are guaranteed well prepared and tasty food.
- Get your dues back by attending only six meetings a year. As a member, you get a $5 discount every time you attend a meeting.
Our past speakers include:
- Ray Bradbury, icon, author, screenwriter
- Stephen J. Cannell, NY Times bestselling author
- Lew Hunter, author, teacher and screenwriter
- Robert McKee, creative writing instructor, author, and Hollywood Inspiration
- Martin J. Smith, author, journalist
- Jacqueline Marcell
- BJ Robbins, literary agent
- Helie Lee, bestselling author
- Joyce Chapman, author, psychologist
- Keith Sharon, journalist, screenwriter
- Barbara Potter, award-winning journalist
- Mike Foley, writer, editor, and writing coach
- Barbara DeMarco-Barrett, journalist, author
- Earlene Fowler, mystery series novelist.
- Erich Hoeber, screenwriter
- Ralph Wetterhahn, travel writer.
- Michael Hauge, script consultant
- Suzanne Forester, mystery author
- Sherri Board, mystery author.
- Elizabeth Yost, Director of Programming for the Hallmark TV and Hallmark Movie Channels
- Dean Devlin, Screenwriter, executive producer, and director
- Harry Turtledove, novelist in alternate history, historical fiction, fantasy, and science fiction
- Steven R. Boyett, fiction, fantasy, and horror author
- Denise Hamiltion, award-winning author and former LA Times journalist
- Sheila Finch, Nebula award winning science fiction author, creative writing teacher
Many of our members have learned so much from SCWA that they've gone on to get their books published.
In addition, many of our members provide services you may want to use, such as editors, publicists, book shepherds, agents, publishers, self-publishers, cover artists, short story writers, etc.
Over the 20 years since SCWA was founded, we have grown in our writing skills to such a level that many of our current members have sold their writing.
If you are a new member, if you stick with us long enough and learn as those writers have, then you have a much better chance of selling your writing and joining their ranks.
If you prefer to pay by check, send your $30 made out to
Southern California Writers Association
P.O Box 47
Huntington Beach, CA 92648
Of course, you have the option of paying at a meeting. If you inform the registrar at the meeting at you are considering joining SCWA, you will receive a membership application and may get the member rate for that meeting.
Do it now while it's on your mind.